Tuesday 5 October 2010

How to make quilting stencils

Well, not much today. I have lazy days lately...
I've already prepared this some time ago, but couldn't force myself to post it. Hope you will forgive me ;)

Once I was looking for tutorial for quilting stencils. How can you make them on your own. I know that you can buy them, but why buying when you can create whatever you want at home :) With the size that you need at the moment.
You have to choose the pattern, which you want to use as a template. When you decide, we can start. Oh, you will need one more thing...
During some shopping I bought quite thick but flexible plastick sheet (the milky thing on the top of the print). I think it was ment to be something to stiffen the bottom of the bag. As I didnt use it for any bag, I decided that it will be perfect as a base material for stencils.


Now, just draw you pattern on the plastic remembering about leaving some spaces between the line, for everything to keep together after cutting. It should look like this (see, the line is not continuous):


Start to cut. I was using a scalpel, for the simple reason of not having double bladed knife. It will be much easier with one. But without, will also do, as you can see (just be really carefull... I managed to cut myself few times):


The lines you cut should be quite thick. As thick as the end of the marker which you will use to draw pattern on the fabric.
My pattern repeats itself later, so I needed to cut only those two parts:


And that's how it looks after finishing:


Hope it will help you a little bit. Good night to you all... and sleep well...


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip in not cutting it all the way. Tried one in the past and it was too flimsy! I used a laminating sheet ran through the laminator without any paper. It made for a nice sturdy sheet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flimsy because I cut the lines all the way.

      Delete
    2. Flimsy because I cut the lines all the way.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip in not cutting it all the way. Tried one in the past and it was too flimsy! I used a laminating sheet ran through the laminator without any paper. It made for a nice sturdy sheet.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...