Tuesday 30 September 2014

It all started with a color card

Although I have still some WIPs to finish (the last pictorial quilt needs quilting and there is Sew Sweet QAL which starts on Wednesday) I've already planned new projects for the end of this and I guess the whole next year (a series of 4 wall hangings and a pictorial quilt). 

As this post will be mostly about fabric, I need to give you some background for the story... For the flower girl quilt I used mostly Stonehenge fabrics from Northcott, the next pictorial quilt will be also made using mostly Stonehenge and I thought I could get even more Stonehenge for the walhangings. Browsing through Fat Quarter Shop, I just realised, that ther are so many similar Stonehenge shades, that it would be difficult for me to choose the exact ones looking just on the photos in the online shop. 

Probably every one of you out there had a situation, when fabric which you've ordered looked a bit different than the one shown on the picture online (I had at least few times). It's difficult to get a perfect color correct photo, and in addition, the monitors are callibrated differently, so the only way to be 100% sure about the color of the fabric would be shopping in a stationary shop of having a color card. 

And there starts a story of a color card... I thought, that it would be pretty amazing to have a color card of Stonehenge fabrics, and as I didn't find anything online, I decided to contact Northcott directly. After few days of exchanging emails with Jennifer, the Marketing Manager of Northcott Canada, I got an info, that she packed me some Stonehenge fabrics, color cards and catalogues from the Northcott fabric lines to help me with my future projects (ther is no color card for Stonehenge, but I got a color correct catalogue, which I'm very grateful for :)

As I came back from work yesterday evening I found the package, which has just arrived from Northcott. Now you can just imagine, how suprised I was by the size and weight of the box!

Zanosi sie na dlugi post, bo i historia dluga... 
Jako, ze u mnie jest zawsze kilka projektow rozpoczetych w tym samym czasie (niektore nie sa nigdy konczone, niestety), tak i teraz mam juz plany na praktycznie caly nastepny rok choc ostatni quilt nadal wisi na scianie bez pikowania. 
Czemu bedzie o materialach? Pare slow wstepu... Do szycia dziewczyny z kwiatami uzylam glownie materialow z kolekcji Stonehenge firmy Northcott. Ten quilt, ktory teraz wisi na scianie jest z mieszanych batikow, Stonehenge'ow i recznie farbowanego materialu, a nastepne, ktore planuje tez bede szyc uzywajac Stonehenge'ow. No straszliwie mi sie te materialy podobaja. Kolory, wzory, zlocenia (jesli sa), jakosc... No wiec przymierzalam sie do zamowienia kilku metrow na tlo do nastepnych quiltow i przegladajac Stonehenge w sklepie okazalo sie, ze wiele jest takich, ktore sa bardzo do siebie podobne i przez internet nie jestem w stanie ocenic, ktory by mi bardziej pasowal. Zaczelam wiec szukac karty kolorow, zeby ulatwic sobie zakupy w przyszlosci (wiadomo, jak sie zamawia przez neta w Stanach, czeka kilka tygodni na material, a potem sie okazuje, ze jednak kolor wcale nie jest taki, jak byl na zdjeciu i pewnie inny material by lepiej pasowal, to juz do smiechu nie jest... stracony czas i pieniadze... duzo czasu i duzo pieniedzy). 
Poszukiwania karty kolorow Stonehenge nie przyniosly niestety rezultatu, wiec postanowilam zapytac bezposrednio producenta (zdarza sie, ze maja probniki na potrzeby patchworkowych wystaw, czy targow). Po kilku dniach wymiany maili ustalo na tym, ze Northcott przysle mi kilka katalogow i kart kolorow materialow i troche materialow Stonehenge (karty kolorow Stonehenge niestety nie ma, dostalam za to katalog ze zdjeciami materialow, ktore kolorystycznie odpowiadaja prawdziwym materialom). 

Jakie bylo moje zdziewienie, gdy wczoraj po powrocie z pracy zobaczylam paczke od firmy Northcott. To znaczy sama paczka mnie nie zdziwila, tylko jej wielkosc i waga! No spodziewalam sie kilku katalogow i moze charm-packow z kolorami Stonehenge'ow. Otworzylam pudlo drzacymi rekami i widze papier... Mysle 'upakowali pewnie wszystko z kilogramami papieru, dlatego takie ciezkie...'. Oj, jak sie mylilam. Papieru byl tylko kawaleczek na wierzchu...

And then I opened it with shaking hands...


There was a variety of Northcott fabric's color cards and catalogues:

Pozniej byly katalogi i karty kolorow:



And yes... THAT much fabric! Three huge piles of Stonehenge! *swooning*

A potem... Tak, TYLE materialu... Cale metry Stohenenge'ow z notka od producenta, ze sa przeznaczone na moje przyszle art quilty. Piekne! Do tej pory nie chce mi sie w to wierzyc (*tu powinna byc ikonka glaszczaca sliczne materialy*)

Jeszcze jakis czas temu rozmawialam z mezem, ze nie jest mi latwo z szyciem, bo jestem troche rozerwana pomiedzy patchworkiem nowoczesnym, a szyciem art quiltow. Ciezko, bo jednak to dosc kosztowne miec dwie szafy materialow - jedna do 'modern' patchworku, druga do 'art' quiltow. Na razie wiekszosc materialow, ktore mialam to byly jednak te nowoczesne, a jesli potrzebowalam czegos innego, to kupowalam pod konkretny projekt. Dzieki firmie Northcott mam solidna baze do szycia quiltow na wystawy :)



Beautiful!



Beautiful!



And yes... beautiful! (*stroking pretty fabric*

I still can't believe it... 



I was even once telling my Hubby, that as I started as a modern quilter, I don't have much fabrics for sewing pictorial quilts. My whole stash is mostly 'modern'. Well, now I have a pretty nice stash for my 'art' projects. 
Thank you Jennifer and Northcott! This fabric will be put to good use!

If you have projects made with Northcott fabrics, you can share them in the Northcott Fabric Circle of on their FB page:

13 comments:

  1. Boy oh boy - I foresee major creative 'playtime' for you ahead - what a generous gift from Northcott
    I think your next problem will be getting up the nerve to start cutting the fabric up ;o) - oh what a problem to have
    I can't wait to see what wonders you create with these beautiful fabrics and any new fabrics you bring in from these extra colour cards
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW how generous!!! Lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nie ukrywam, że zazdroszczę przyjemności tworzenia z takich tkanin. Widziałam dziewczynę z kwiatami w Pradze i czekam na możliwość zobaczenia kolejnych quiltów:) Pozdrawiam:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those fabrics are drop dead gorgeous! You're so lucky and Northcott is such an awesome company to have sent you all of this! I would love to have just three meters of on of their metallic series to sew a dress with... I guess I need to find a shop that sells them (does Northcott have their own shop?) I'm beyond words to be able to describe how beautiful those fabrics are. It's truly overwhelming to see them side by side in such amount, thanks for sharing.

    I'm sure your quilts are going to be wonderful made with those :). I've just found your blog via Northcott's fb fanpage and I'm in awe, you're such a creative and patient sewing bee! It's lovely to see your works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ale niespodzianka! Super! Bardzo miło, że firma Northcott tak Cię doceniła!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome, I just love stories like this, companies going above and beyond! Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nawet mnie - patrząc na te zdjęcia - serce mocniej zabiło! Na Twoim miejscu dostałabym palpitacji!!! :)
    Wspaniałe prezenty - z pewnością spożytkujesz je należycie :))))

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG :D Kochana to poszalejesz teraz :D super! :) ciężka praca się opłaca :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow zazdrość zżera ale przynajmniej pozytywna. czekamy na piękne nowe dzieła :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super niespodzianka !!! Na pewno trafiły w dobre ręce:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Łał, super, jestem pod wielkim wrażeniem, na pewno z tego wyczarujesz coś pięknego, jak zawsze :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Piękne, piękne, piękne !!! Już czekam na to co pięknego z nich wyczarujesz ;) Oczywiście jako tkaninoholik troszkę zazdroszczę ;)
    Pozdrawiam
    Kamila

    ReplyDelete
  13. Their fabric is in very capable hands, now! Can't wait to see what you make of it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...